UK Coal is committed to mitigating the impact of our operations through a number of policy commitments and a comprehensive environmental management system. International standard ISO 14001 certification has been achieved at all of our main operational sites.
We are actively involved in taking 'green energy' projects from innovation to completion, including the use of methane gas from deep mines to generate electricity. Site procedures are audited by in-house teams and external experts to ensure continued compliance. Underground and surface readings for emissions, including gas, dust, noise and water are taken, analysed and reported.
Where appropriate, action plans to reduce emissions are designed and followed through to completion. Compliance with waste management regulations is monitored, and a programme to encourage re-cycling and waste minimisation is in place.
UK Coal's environmental policy commitments to:
- Minimise pollution and comply with environmental legislation, and any agreements with external organisations in order to comply with ISO 14001.
- Maintain certification of environmental management systems to international standards at all mines, and progress certification in other areas of the business.
- Set and regularly review objectives and targets to achieve continual improvement in environmental performance, including a reduction in the use of natural resources.
- Use the principles of sustainable development to design new projects and restore completed sites to include long-term environmental or community benefits.
- Provide access to contact us about environmental issues, and give a prompt response.
- Ensure this policy is communicated to all employees, contractors and suppliers.
- Encourage the efficient use of coal with minimum emissions.
- Maximise the use of other natural resources recovered with the coal.